Skip to main content

ES120 Electric Screwdriver Review

For a long time I've been on the look out for a good electric screwdriver. I wanted one that was small, had good build quality, good RPM, and good torque. Now, "good" is a relative term so I'll elaborate a little and say that I do like nice things and most of the screws I use are in the #2 to #10 range. As long as the driver could push these with a decent speed and seat them with a "finger-tight" level of torque, I would be happy. I didn't want something huge like the ones that you can get from the hardware store. Recently I found the ES120 electric screwdriver and it appears like I found what I was looking for.


Honestly, this little electric screwdriver is sweet. It's about the size of a large marker or highlighter and has only one button that controls the entire operation. Holding down this button will turn on the screwdriver and light up a little screen. Rotating the screwdriver clockwise or CCW will start the motor. There are 5 qualitative torque modes: 4 constant speed modes and one Automatic mode that varies the torque & speed as a function of how much you rotate the driver. From what I can tell, there is a little gyroscope inside and the microprocessor is integrating its angular rate to get an angle measurement. It uses this angle measurement to know what direction and what speed to turn the bit. The torque seems to be controlled only by the applied power. There is a very small bar at the bottom of the display that seems to be showing the output current. Although you can't set a numerical torque limit, I'm just happy someone finally made a nice micro electric screwdriver...


It comes with a small zipper case with hold down points for 6 bits. Mine came with two low quality 4mm bits (phillips and flat) but I've seen other listings that include more. Honestly, if you get this screwdriver, then invest in a nice bit set like the Wiha 75991 (normal) or 75992 (ESD Safe) bit set. Both can be purchased from Amazon for about 50$. They include a handle, extension bar, and 25 bits in phillips, flat, allen, and torx in standard sizes. Definitely worth it. There are more bit sets available from Wiha under the "System 4" category.


 
The ES120 can be had for anywhere between 90$ and 150$ depending on where you get it from. I found that it was the cheapest on Banggood, while Amazon's listings were in the +110$ range. One thing that confused me was that there doesn't seem to be a listed manufacturer for this product. It just seems to be distributed by many different vendors. I got mine from Amazon from SainSmart when it was about 100$.

 

One of the things that struck me about the ES120 was the build quality. Its body is all stainless steel, it uses a microprocessor and inertial sensors to control speed and direction, it has a nice little screen for direction and torque information, and it's USB rechargeable (battery life is very good). In the above video you can see a good tear down and review. One of the highlights is the cool clutch mechanism on the output that prevents back-driving. This allows the screwdriver to be used manually to break a screw free or tighten it down without hurting the gearbox. 


The one thing that I didn't like about this screwdriver is that the bit doesn't go deep enough, which admittedly sounds like a personal problem. It's not really a problem with the screwdriver, or the bits... It's just something that IS. It was an issue for me because I often take apart things that have buried screws. In order to reach these with this screwdriver I needed a minimum OD bit extension so it can fit in these narrow, long, holes.


I had a good dose of luck in that I happened to have some hexagonal tube stock from K&S Precision Metals that was exactly the right size. The hex tube is 5/32" (4mm) on the inside and 3/16" on the outside (tube is labeled by outside dimension). That's about as 'minimal OD' as you can get. I cut a piece of the extension bar from my Wiha set, and glued the hex tube stock on the end. I also glued a magnet on the inside so the bits would still be held in place. It's worth noting that K&S has products in a lot of hobby stores and their tubes are made such that each size can fit inside the next size up (think: telescoping antenna). This includes the hex tubing. This can be very useful.


Conclusion: I really like this little driver. It saves me from turning a lot of threads for both my work and hobbies. It's also faster than doing it by hand. The build quality is good, it works very well, and it's small. It applies, IMO, a very good amount of torque for small screws (my guess is around 30 oz-in). It is pricey, but for me it's worth it. 

There is also an ES121 electric screwdriver available on Banggood that has a faster speed but lower output torque. 

There is also a small soldering iron called the TS100 that seems to be made by the same people. It has some cool features, including an accelerometer to detect when it's not in use. It's about 60-70$ on Amazon. I haven't tried it out but it has a lot of good reviews.

Comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this amazing informative post with us i found this helpful for, automatic screwdriver system, which is a new generation of screw fastening machine, it consists of automatic screw feeder and electric screwdriver, the screw is blown to the air tube and fed to the screwdriver bit.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Other People Thought These Were Cool..

Micro Servos

When I started to take a break from microscopic flying vehicles in 2010 and migrate towards some larger, easier to work with, models (5-20g) I realized that magnetic actuators just weren't going to cut it for control (rudder, elevator, ailerons). Magnetic actuators are heavy and draw power continuously when deflected away from neutral. I needed servos. Servos would provide lots of pulling force for their weight but at the cost of mechanical complexity. Since servos at the weight I needed didn't exist or were out of my price range I decided to further over complicate the situation and build my own. I started by designing a simple linear servo (lead screw design). The picture above is of my 400mg variant which has a throw of about 0.2", resolution of 0.0015", and can pull about a 25g load. The motor is a brushed 3.2mm diameter coreless design by Shicoh. The gears used are module 0.15 and can be gotten from http://www.kkpmo.com/ . The threaded rod is 0000-160, which

3D Printed Mechanical Pencil

What better way is there to spend multiple consecutive weekends than sitting at your computer, redesigning a mechanism that has existed for decades, all to be able to 3D print something that can be bought at the store for less than $1? ... That's right, anything. However, when your co-worker throws down the gauntlet there is only one thing to do. Take it up.

Nerf Desolator Mods & Upgrades

Ever since I was a kid, I enjoyed playing with Nerf guns blasters. I just liked shooting things around the house, which included my brother. I remember shooting suction cup darts at our CRT TV while watching shows (aiming at the characters / actors). It was way too much fun.